Wednesday, July 11, 2007

They're Baaaack!



Yes, my dreaded foe, the cicada, is back. Many people here in the Mid-West have fond associations with this alien insect. "They ARE summer, it's not summer without them!", "We use to have fun collecting their skins", "I think they're cool!", they all chime in when I moan and complain about the summer visitor's incessant shrieking.

I was really hopeful they just wouldn't show up this year as the cacophony started well after summer arrived. Our peaceful dog walks now include the infamous "EEE..EEE.EEEE.EEEE...." at noise levels that can drown out the sound of a lawn mower. Imagine the sound track to the shower scene in Psycho, turn up the shrill factor, put it on a loop that doesn't stop and you'll have good idea of the torture these bugs bestow on your ears (and nerves!).

With their arrival, unlike native mid-westerners that welcome the din of these creatures, I am already counting down the days until Fall and their impending departure...when I can enjoy a nice peaceful, quiet evening walk with the dogs. I guess these cicadas are another proof point that you can take the girl out of California but you can't take California out of the girl.

No comments: